Explore this issueDecember 2015
Also by this Author
- M10.072—Acute gout has an Excludes 1 note of chronic gout (M1A.-). This means that acute gout and chronic gout cannot be coded for the same encounter, as the codes are mutually exclusive.
- M45.6—The patient is diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis of the lumbar region.
- M81.8—Other osteoporosis without current pathological fracture.
- M79.622—The patient has pain in his upper right arm. M79.602 is only pain in the right arm and not upper.
- M16.0, M19.011, M19.021, M19.031—There is an Excludes 1 note for bilateral involvement of a single joint (M16–M19). This means that if there is bilateral involvement of the hips (M16.0), knee (M17.0) or the first carpometacarpal joint (M18.0), then these diagnoses cannot be coded with M15.-, because the conditions are mutually exclusive.