Ruth Jessen Hickman, MD, is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Medicine. She is a freelance medical and science writer living in Bloomington, Ind.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueDecember 2020
Also By This Author
- Schur PH, Sandson J. Immunologic factors and clinical activity in systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med. 1968 Mar 7;278(10):533–538.
- Hargraves MM, Richmond H, Morton R. Presentation of two bone marrow elements; the tart cell and the L.E. cell. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin. 1948 Jan 21;23(2):25–28.
- Mackay IR. Travels and travails of autoimmunity: A historical journey from discovery to rediscovery. Autoimmun Rev. 2010 Mar;9(5):A251–258.
- Tan EM, Schur PH, Carr RI, et al. Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and antibodies to DNA in the serum of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Clin Invest. 1966 Nov;45(11):1732–1740.
- Koffler D, Schur PH, Kunkel HG. Immunological studies concerning the nephritis of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Exp Med. 1967 Oct 1;126(4):607–624.
- Townes AS, Stewart Jr CR, Osler AG. Immunologic studies of systemic lupus erythematosus. II. Variations of nucleoprotein-reactive gamma globulin and hemolytic serum complement levels with disease activity. Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1963 Apr;112:202–219.
- Yung S, Chan TM. Mechanisms of kidney injury in lupus nephritis—The role of anti-dsDNA antibodies. Front Immunol. 2015 Sep 15;6:475.
- Putterman C, Pisetsky DS, Petri M, et al. The SLE-key test serological signature: New insights into the course of lupus. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Sep 1;57(9):1632–1640.
- Martin M, Smoląg KI, Björk A, et al. Plasma C4d as marker for lupus nephritis in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017 Dec 6;19(1):266.