Class, welcome to rheumatology.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueOctober 2015
Also By This Author
Simon M. Helfgott, MD, is associate professor of medicine in the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
- Association of American Medical Colleges.
- Singer N. The price of beauty: For top medical Students, an attractive field. The New York Times. 2008 Mar 19.
- Deal CL, Hooker R, Harrington T, et al. The United States rheumatology workforce: Supply and demand, 2005–2025. Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Mar;56(3):722–729.
- Edmonston P. In tough times, M.B.A. applications may be an economic indicator. The New York Times. 2008 Oct 6.
- Farr C. Bay Area doctors quit medicine to work for digital health startups. KQED. 2015 Jul 17.
- Bloopers: It’s not lupus. House M.D.
- Finally! It’s a lupus diagnosis on House, M.D. Lupus Foundation of America. 2007 Nov 29.
It has been brought to our attention that some of the statistics that I originally cited in the article were wrong. The Doximity study analyzing the rates of medical students pursuing residency training following graduation was incorrect in claiming that Stanford and UCSF scored poorly. In fact, the opposite is true for both schools. Colleagues at both UCSF and Stanford confirmed that their students matriculate to residencies at very high rates, as one would have expected. Since completing my research for my article several months ago, I was unaware that these study results were challenged by these two schools and that the original data had been retracted. I apologize for the error and the misunderstanding.