Congress, the ball and the stick are back in your court. Are you prepared to use either?
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2017
Also By This Author
Simon M. Helfgott, MD, is associate professor of medicine in the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
ad goes here:advert-1
SCROLL TO CONTINUE
- Russo E. Special report: The birth of biotechnology. Nature. 2003 Jan;421:456–457.
- Whalen J. Why the U.S. pays more than other countries for drugs. The Wall Street Journal. 2015 Dec 1.
- Raymond N. Martin Shkreli, who raised drug prices from $13.50 to $750, arrested in securities fraud probe. Scientific American. (n.d.).
- Cuprimine prices, coupons and patient assistance programs. Drugs.com. 2017 May 2 (updated).
- Gray RES, Doherty SM, Galloway J, et al. A double blind study of deflazacort and prednisone in patients with chronic inflammatory disorders. Arthritis Rheum. 1991 Mar;34(3):287–295.
- Johnson CY. An old drug gets a new price to fight a rare disease: $89,000 a year. The Washington Post. 2017 Feb 10.
- Morgensen G. To stop price spikes on prescription drugs, a widening radar. The New York Times. 2016 Dec 23.
- Walker J. Drugmakers point finger at middlemen for rising drug prices. The Wall Street Journal. 2016 Oct 3.
- Chen C. Drugmakers are trying a new strategy: Charging less. Bloomberg. 2017 Mar 30.
- Clerici JM. Federal gov’t won’t march in when it comes to drug prices. Law 360. 2016 Jul 11.
- Li D, Azoulay P, Sampat BN. The applied value of public investments in biomedical research. Science. 2017 Apr 7;356(6333):78–81.