New Patient vs. Established Patient Quiz
1. A 65-year-old female patient comes to see Dr. Raven at her new practice. The last time this patient saw Dr. Raven was eight weeks ago at her old practice. What type of patient visit is this?
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMarch 2012
Also By This Author
2. Dr. Smith joins a new practice and many of his patients transfer to his new practice. One of Dr. Smith’s patients sees him for a follow-up visit at the new practice; however, Dr. Smith is called to the hospital. The patient agrees to see another rheumatologist in the practice for that visit. The rheumatologist has not examined this patient before. What type of patient visit is this for the associate?
3. A 40-year-old male patient who has not been to the practice in the last three years makes an appointment to see Dr. Robins for pain in his knee. What type of patient visit is this?
4. A patient is scheduled to see Dr. Sparrow for a follow-up visit. The patient’s last visit with Dr. Sparrow was three months ago at her former practice. On the day of the visit, the patient has to see the physician assistant (PA) because Dr. Sparrow is unexpectedly out of the office. This is the first time the patient is seen by the PA. What type of patient visit is this for the PA?
This next question is tricky. If you get this answer correct, you are well on your way to becoming a superb coder!
5. Last week, Dr. Dove was called to the hospital for a consultation on a 45-year-old male patient whom Dr. Dove had not examined before (assume the patient’s carrier still accepts consultation codes). A week later, the patient comes to the practice for a scheduled follow-up with Dr. Dove, but the doctor is out sick. The patient sees another rheumatologist in the practice. What type of patient visit is this for the associate?
- a. Consultation
- b. Established
- c. New