Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is available in 50,000-IU capsules (by prescription) and 8,000 IUs per mL in an over-the-counter (OTC) liquid. Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is available as OTC capsules containing 2,000 IUs, 5,000 IUs, or 10,000 IUs; drops are also available. Calcitriol, the vitamin D metabolite (1,25 [OH]2D3), is available by prescription in capsules containing 0.25 mcg and 0.5 mcg; a solution is available containing 1 mcg per mL as is an injectable form (1- and 2-mcg/mL in 1- mL vials). Calcitriol can be used for patients with severe liver disease or chronic renal failure.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueNovember 2009
Michele Kaufman is a freelance medical writer based in New York City.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Skin cancer prevention. www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/prevention.htm. Published June 12, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med; 2007;357:266-281.
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp. Published December 11, 2008. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician’s guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis 2008. www.nof.org/professionals/Clinicians_Guide.htm. Published February 2008. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- Agus ZS, Drezner MK. Causes of vitamin D deficiency and resistance. UpToDate 2009; version 17.2 (May 28, 2009).
- Dawson-Hughes B. Treatment of vitamin D deficiency states. UpToDate 2009; version 17.2 (May 1, 2009).
- Facts and Comparison’s Online version 4.0. Accessed September 7, 2009.
- Nitec Pharma reports positive and highly significant phase III results from Capra-2 Study of Lodotra in RA. Drugs.com. www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/nitec-pharma-reports-positivehighly-significant-phase-iii-results-capra-2-study-lodotra-ra-8000.html. Published September 2, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- Leuty R. Pain Therapeutics partner working with FDA. San Francisco Business Times. http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/08/03/daily53.html?surround=etf. Published August 4, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- FDA approves Embeda for management of moderate to severe chronic pain. Drugs.com. www.drugs.com/newdrugs/fda-approves-embeda-management-moderate-severe-chronicpain-1557.html. Published August 13, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- Dennis M. Novartis launches generic Prograf in US; FDA denies Astellas’ citizen petition. FirstWord. www.firstwordplus.com/Fws.do?articleid=73905938CAD94782BB5095BD6B0A5006&logRowId=320771. Published August 11, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.
- Humulin 50/50 to be discontinued. Monthly Prescribing Reference. www.empr.com/Humulin-5050-to-be-discontinued/article/141510. Published August 12, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2009.