Philip Seo, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore. He is director of both the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueSeptember 2020
Also By This Author
- Gabriel T. In Virginia, a 11,608-to-11,607 lesson in the power of a single vote. The New York Times. 2017 Dec 19.
- Moomaw G. Virginia elections board to pick random winner in tied House race. The Daily Progress. 2017 Dec 20.
- Determination by lot in case of tie. Code of Virginia. Title 24.2. Elections. Chapter 6. Article 4. §24.2–674.
- Barker JM. One vote decides it in the 26th district. Seattle Post-Intelligencer. 2002 Oct 1.
- List of close election results. Wikipedia.
- Glass A. Bush declared electoral victor over Gore, Dec. 12, 2000. Politico. 2018 Dec 12.
- Rabinowitz K, Mayes BR. At least 76% of American voters can cast ballots by mail in the fall. The Washington Post. 2020 Aug 11.
- Find my state or local elections office website.
- Vote save America.
- Chang A. NPR analysis: Thousands of mail-in ballots rejected for arriving too late. NPR. 2020 Jul 13.
- Absentee ballot deadlines. Vote.org.
- Rein L. It’s not just you: Letters really are taking longer to get delivered. The Washington Post. 2015 Apr 27.
- Hill C, Grumbach J, Bonica A, Jefferson H. We should never have to vote in person again. The New York Times. 2020 May 4.
- Bradbury B. Oregon vote-by-mail. State of Oregon. (n.d.).
- Camhi T. How Oregon became the first state to vote by mail in a presidential election. OPB. 2020 Jun 19.
- Seitz-Wald A. How do you know voting by mail works? The U.S. military’s done it since the Civil War. NBC News. 2020 Apr 19.
- The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (as modified by the National Defense Authorization Act for FY2005). U.S. Department of Justice; Civil Rights Division; Voting Section. 1987 Dec 31.
- Dubner SJ, Levitt SD. Why vote? The New York Times. 2005 Nov 5.
- Victor J. What good are elections, anyway? Vox. 2018 Oct 30.
- Kousser T, Mullin M. Does voting by mail increase participation? Using matching to analyze a natural experiment. Soc Pol Methodol. 2007;15(4):428–445.
- Winslow D. (2020 Jul 23). Today @MittRomney said Trump would be re-elected. ‘I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote and that’s young people & the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at getting out to the polls.’.