Traditionally, the rheumatology community has demonstrated boldness in the investigation of puzzling illnesses such as vasculitis or lupus. FM poses a greater challenge because its understanding may require a paradigm shift from reductionism to holism.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJuly 2008
Future research will hopefully define—and untangle—the abnormal autonomic-nociceptive short circuits that lead to central sensitization. In the meantime, only a broad alliance of patients, health providers, researchers, and government agencies would be able to face this major health problem among contemporary women.
Dr. Martinez-Lavin is chief of the rheumatology department at the National Institute of Cardiology in Mexico City and professor of rheumatology at the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
- Burckhardt CS, Clark SR, Bennett R. Fibromyalgia and quality of life: a comparative analysis. J Rheumatol. 1993;20:475-479.
- Dobson R. Doctors rank myocardial infarction as most “prestigious” disease and fibromyalgia as least. BMJ. 2007;335:632-633.
- Martinez-Lavin M, Infante O, Lerma C. Hypothesis. The chaos and complexity theory may help our understanding of fibromyalgia and similar maladies. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2008;37:260-264.
- Goldberger. Non-linear dynamics for clinicians: chaos theory, fractals, and complexity at the bedside. Lancet. 1996;347:1312-1314.
- Glass L, Mackey MC. From Clocks to Chaos, the Rhythms of Life. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press 1988.
- Waldrop M. Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos. New York, N.Y.: Touchstone 1992.
- Martinez-Lavin M. Biology and therapy of fibromyalgia. Stress, the stress response system, and fibromyalgia. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:216.
- Pikkujämsä SM, Mäkikallio TH, Sourander LB, et al. Cardiac interbeat interval dynamics from childhood to senescence: Comparison of conventional and new measures based on fractals and chaos theory. Circulation. 1999;100:393-399.
- Carville SF, Arendt-Nielsen S, Bliddal H, et al. EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67:536-541.