Philip Seo, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore. He is director of both the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2021
Also By This Author
I would like to thank Myma Albayda, MD, Elizabeth Jones, Amanda Klekowski von Koppenfels, PhD, Julie Paik, MD, MHS, Ethan Craig, MD, MHS, and Anisha B. Dua, MD, MPH, for their helpful comments.
COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act Passed
On May 20, with overwhelming support from Congress, President Biden signed legislation that addresses hate crimes committed during the COVID-19 pandemic, with particular emphasis on the increase in violence against Asian Americans. The law makes reporting hate crimes easier by ensuring reporting resources are available online in multiple languages. It also authorizes grants to state and local governments for crime-reduction programs and to respond to hate crimes. —https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/937
- Bromwich JE. Doormen who stood by after brutal attack on Asian woman are fired. The New York Times. 2021 Apr 6.
- Yancey-Bragg N. Darnella Frazier, the teenager who recorded George Floyd’s death on video, says it changed her life. USA Today. 2021 Mar 30.
- Bolaños D. The curious case of the shopping cart theory. Medium. 2020 Jun 17.
- Jeung R, Yellow Horse A, Popovic T, Lim R. Stop AAPI Hate national report. 2021.
- Fausset R, Bogel-Burroughs, Fazio M. 8 dead in Atlanta spa shootings, with fears of anti-Asian bias. The New York Times. 2021 Mar 26.
- Yeung D, Nguyen P, Shih RA. Asian American lives and livelihoods don’t just deserve our qualified support. The RAND Blog. 2021 Mar 22.
- Pinkus E. AAPI data/SurveyMonkey poll: 2021 American experiences with discrimination. SurveyMonkey.com. 2021 Mar.
- Yan J, Warner G. ‘We already belong’: A conversation with R.O. Kwon. KQED. NPR. 2021 Mar 26.
- Khalid A. Twitter.com. 2021 Apr 9.
- Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming king (TV special). Amazon Prime. 2017.
- Wamsley L. CDC director declares racism a ‘serious public health threat.’ KQED. NPR. 2021 Apr 8.
- Keating D, Cha AE, Florit G. ‘I just pray God will help me’: Racial, ethnic minorities reel from higher COVID-19 death rates. The Washington Post. 2020 Nov 20.
- Moore T. Racist spews ethnic slurs, punches Asian woman in NYC subway station. New York Post. 2021 Mar 28.
- Associated Press. Six Dr. Seuss books will be discontinued because of racist and insensitive imagery. CNBC. 2021 Mar 2.
- Executive order 9066: Resulting in the relocation of Japanese (1942). OurDocuments.gov.
- Bomboy S. Did the Supreme Court just overrule the Korematsu decision? Constitution Daily. 2018 Jun 26.