Vanessa Caceres is a medical writer in Bradenton, Fla.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMarch 2019
Also By This Author
ad goes here:advert-1
SCROLL TO CONTINUE
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Office of the Surgeon General. The Health Consequences of Smoking—50 Years of Progress. 2014; p.584.
- Di Giuseppe D, Discacciati A, Orsini N, Wolk A. Cigarette smoking and risk of rheumatoid arthritis: A dose-response meta-analysis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014 Mar 5;16(2):R61.
- Sparks JA, Chang S-C, Liao KP, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis and mortality among women during 36 years of prospective follow‐up: Results from the Nurses’ Health Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016 Jun;68(6):753–762.
- Barbhaiya M, Tedeschi SK, Lu B, et al. Cigarette smoking and the risk of systemic lupus erythematosus, overall and by anti-double stranded DNA antibody subtype, in the Nurses’ Health Study cohorts. Ann Rheum Dis. 2018 Feb;77(2):196–202.
- Cozier YC, Barbhaiya M, Castro-Webb N, et al. Relationship of cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption to incidence of systemic lupus erythematosus in the Black Women’s Health Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018 Aug 9. doi: 10.1002/acr.23703. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gomes JP, Watad A, Shoenfeld Y. Nicotine and autoimmunity: The lotus’ flower in tobacco. Pharmacol Res. 2018 Feb;128:101–109.
- Roelsgaard IK, Thomsen T, Ostergaard M, et al. The effect of an intensive smoking cessation intervention on disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Study protocol for a randomized trial. Trials. 2017 Nov 28;18(1):570.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Electronic cigarettes: What’s the bottom line?.