Philip Seo, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore. He is director of both the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJuly 2020
Also By This Author
In This Issue
Like many of you, I wear many hats. Although in these pages I am the medical editor of The Rheumatologist, in my day job, I am the director of the Johns Hopkins rheumatology fellowship training program. Therefore, as an educator, I am particularly pleased that we have been able to dedicate this edition to education.
In these pages, you will read about how program directors from across the country have tackled challenges, ranging from quality improvement initiatives to reinventing fellow education in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Other articles focus on rheumatology fellows themselves, including who they are and lessons they should keep in mind as they embark upon their training. We also discuss innovations in how we train rheumatology fellows, including the increasingly important role played by rheumatology nurses and ultrasonographers.
We hope these articles will be of broad interest, because at the end of the day, we are all educators, even those of us who have not stood behind a podium in years. We educate our patients, and we educate each other. Taking a moment now and again to think explicitly about how we educate is a worthwhile endeavor for all of us.
- Hébert PC, Wells G, Blajchman MA, et al. A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. New Engl J Med. 1999 Feb 11;340(6):409–417.
- Manson JE, Chlebowski RT, Stefanick ML, et al. Menopausal hormone therapy and health outcomes during the intervention and extended poststopping phases of the Women’s Health Initiative randomized trials. JAMA. 2013 Oct 2;310(13):1353–1368.
- Ferrario MM, Veronesi G. Aspirin use in women for primary prevention. Heart. 2015 Mar;101(5):333–336.
- Bradt G. Wanamaker was wrong—the vast majority of advertising is wasted. Forbes. 2016 Sep 14.
- Machlup F. (1962) The Production and Distribution of Knowledge in the United States. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Kruchten P. The biological half-life of software engineering ideas. IEEE Software. 2008 Sep;25:10–11.
- Hall JC, Platell C. Half-life of truth in surgical literature. Lancet. 1997 Dec 13;350(9093):1752.
- Poynard T, Munteanu M, Ratziu V, et al. Truth survival in clinical research: An evidence-based requiem? Ann Intern Med. 2002 Jun 18;136(12):888–895.
- Fuller RB, Kuromiya K. (1981) Critical Path. Macmillian: p. 347.
- Walsh M, Merkel PA, Peh, C-A, et al. Plasma exchange and glucocorticoids in severe ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2020 Feb;382(7):622–631.