Simon M. Helfgott, MD, is associate professor of medicine in the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMay 2017
Also By This Author
- Terry SI, Hanchard B. Gastrology: The use of culinary terms in medicine. Br Med J. 1979 Dec 22–29;2(6205):1636–1639.
- Keshavjee S, Farmer PE. Tuberculosis, drug resistance, and the history of modern medicine. N Engl J Med. 2012 Sep 6; 367(10):931–936.
- Mitchison DA. The diagnosis and therapy of tuberculosis during the past 100 years. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Apr 1;171(7):699–706.
- Mackowiak PA, Tiesler Blos V, Aguilar M, et al. On the origin of American tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Aug 15;41(4):515–518.
- Comas I, Coscolla M, Luo T, et al. Out-of-Africa migration and Neolithic co-expansion of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with modern humans. Nat Genet. 2013 Oct;45(10):1176–1182.
- Smith NH, Hewinson RG, Kremer K, et al. Myths and misconceptions: The origin and evolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2009 Jul;7(7):537– 544.
- Herr HW, Morales A. History of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin and bladder cancer: An immunotherapy success story. J Urol. 2008 Jan;179(1):53–56.
- Luca S, Mihaescu T. History of BCG vaccine. MAEDICA (Buchar). 2013 Mar;8(1):53–58.
- Pearl R. Cancer and tuberculosis. Am J Hygiene. 1929 Jan;9:97–159.
- Old LJ, Clarke DA, Benacerraf B. Effect of bacillus Calmette-Guerin infection on transplanted tumours in the mouse. Nature. 1959 Jul 25;184(Suppl 5):291–292.
- Carswell EA, Old LJ, Kassell RJ, et al. An endotoxin-induced serum factor that causes necrosis of tumors. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 1975 Sep;72(9):3666–3670.
- Rasmussen N. Freund’s adjuvant and the realization of questions in postwar immunology. Hist Stud Phys Biol Sci. 1993;23(2):337–366.
- Kopeloff L, Kopeloff N. The production of antibrain antibody in the monkey. J Immunol. 1944 May 1;48(5):297–304.