Editor’s Note: Be sure to read the November issue of The Rheumatologist for the second part of this series, which will address the role of pain processing in FM and potential treatment methods.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueOctober 2009
Also By This Author
Dr. Clauw is professor of medicine in the division of rheumatology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
- Gowers WR. A lecture on lumbago: Its lessons and analogues. Br Med J. 1904; 1: 117-121.
- Bennett RM. Fibrositis: Misnomer for a common rheumatic disorder. West J Med. 1981;134:405-413.
- Simms RW. Fibromyalgia is not a muscle disorder. Am J Med Sci. 1998;315:346-350.
- Moldofsky H, Lue FA. The relationship of alpha and delta EEG frequencies to pain and mood in ‘fibrositis’ patients treated with chlorpromazine and L-tryptophan. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1980;50:71-80.
- Moldofsky H, Scarisbrick P, England R, Smythe H. Musculosketal symptoms and non-REM sleep disturbance in patients with “fibrositis syndrome” and healthy subjects. Psychosomt Med. 1975;37:341-351.
- Hudson JI, Hudson MS, Pliner LF, Goldenberg DL, Pope HGJ. Fibromyalgia and major affective disorder: A controlled phenomenology and family history study. Am J Psychiatry. 1985;142:441-446.
- Hudson JI, Pope HGJ. Fibromyalgia and psychopathology: Is fibromyalgia a form of “affective spectrum disorder”? J Rheumatol Suppl. 1989;19:15-22.
- Yunus MB. Primary fibromyalgia syndrome: Current concepts. Compr Ther. 1984;10:21-28.
- Bengtsson A, Henriksson KG. The muscle in fibromyalgia: A review of Swedish studies. J Rheumatol Suppl. 1989;19:144-149.
- Bennett RM, Clark SR, Goldberg L, et al. Aerobic fitness in patients with fibrositis: A controlled study of respiratory gas exchange and 133xenon clearance from exercising muscle. Arthritis Rheum. 1989;32:454-460.
- Bennett RM. Muscle physiology and cold reactivity in the fibromyalgia syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1989;15:135-147.
- Yunus MB. Central sensitivity syndromes: A new paradigm and group nosology for FM fibromyalgia and overlapping conditions, and the related issue of disease versus illness. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2008;37:339-352.
- Aaron LA, Bradley LA, Alarcon GS, et al. Psychiatric diagnoses in patients with fibromyalgia are related to health care-seeking behavior rather than to illness [see comments]. Arthritis Rheum. 1996;39:436-445.
- Drossman DA, Li ZM, Andruzzi E, et al. U.S. householder survey of functional gastrointestinal disorders. Prevalence, sociodemography, and health impact. Dig Dis Sci. 1993;38:1569-1580.
- Clauw DJ. Fibromyalgia: Update on mechanisms and management. J Clin Rheumatol. 2007;13:102-109.
- Woolf CJ. Pain: Moving from symptom control toward mechanism-specific pharmacologic management. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:441-451.
- Fukuda K, Nisenbaum R, Stewart G, et al. Chronic multisymptom illness affecting Air Force veterans of the Gulf War. JAMA. 1998;280:981-988.
- Kato K, Sullivan PF, Evengard B, Pedersen NL. A population-based twin study of functional somatic syndromes. Psychol Med. 2008;1-9.
- Buskila D, Sarzi-Puttini P, Ablin JN. The genetics of fibromyalgia syndrome. Pharmacogenomics. 2007;8:67-74.
- Arnold LM, Hudson JI, Hess EV, et al. Family study of fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:944-952.
- Williams DA, Brown SC, Clauw DJ, Gendreau RM. Self-reported symptoms before and after September 11 in patients with fibromyalgia. JAMA. 2003;289:1637-1638.
- Clauw DJ, Mease P, Palmer RH, Gendreau RM, Wang Y. Milnacipran for the treatment of FM in adults: A 15-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple-dose clinical trial. Clin Ther. 2008;30:1988-2004.
- Raphael KG, Natelson BH, Janal MN, Nayak S. A community-based survey of FM-like pain complaints following the World Trade Center terrorist attacks. Pain. 2002;100:131-139.
- Clauw DJ, Chrousos GP. Chronic pain and fatigue syndromes: Overlapping clinical and neuroendocrine features and potential pathogenic mechanisms. Neuroimmunomodulation. 1997;4:134-153.
- Kato K, Sullivan PF, Evengard B, Pedersen NL. Chronic widespread pain and its comorbidities: a population-based study. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1649-1654.
- Giesecke T, Gracely RH, Williams DA, Geisser ME, Petzke FW, Clauw DJ. The relationship between depression, clinical pain, and experimental pain in a chronic pain cohort. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:1577-1584.
- Diatchenko L, Nackley AG, Slade GD, Fillingim RB, Maixner W. Idiopathic pain disorders—pathways of vulnerability. Pain. 2006 Aug;123(3):226-230.
- Armitage R, Landis C, Hoffmann R, et al. Power spectral analysis of sleep EEG in twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndrome. J Psychosom Res. 2009;66:51-57.
- Sherlin L, Budzynski T, Kogan BH, Congedo M, Fischer ME, Buchwald D. Low-resolution electromagnetic brain tomography (LORETA) of monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndrome. Neuroimage. 2007;34:1438-1442.
- Buskila D, Neumann L, Vaisberg G, Alkalay D, Wolfe F. Increased rates of FM following cervical spine injury. A controlled study of 161 cases of traumatic injury [see comments]. Arthritis Rheum. 1997;40:446-452.
- McLean SA, Clauw DJ. Predicting chronic symptoms after an acute “stressor”—lessons learned from 3 medical conditions. Med Hypotheses. 2004;63:653-658.
- Wolfe F. The relation between tender points and fibromyalgia symptom variables: Evidence that FM is not a discrete disorder in the clinic. Ann Rheum Dis. 1997;56:268-271.
- Wolfe F, Rasker JJ. The Symptom Intensity Scale, fibromyalgia, and the meaning of fibromyalgia-like symptoms. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:2291-2299.
- Clauw DJ, Witter J. Pain and rheumatology: Thinking outside the joint. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:321-324.
- Harris RE, Sundgren PC, Pang Y, et al. Dynamic levels of glutamate within the insula are associated with improvements in multiple pain domains in fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:903-907.
- 36. Craig AD. Interoception: The sense of the physiological condition of the body. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003;13:500-505.
- Brooks JC, Tracey I. The insula: A multidimensional integration site for pain. Pain. 2007;128:1-2.
- Buskila D, Neumann L, Hazanov I, Carmi R. Familial aggregation in the fibromyalgia syndrome. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1996;26:605-611.
- Kato K, Sullivan PF, Evengard B, Pedersen NL. Importance of genetic influences on chronic widespread pain. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:1682-1686.