The ACR strongly urges Congress to enact the “Arthritis Prevention, Control, and Cure Act of 2007” (S. 626/H.R.1283), introduced by Senators Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Christopher Bond (R-Mo.) and Representatives Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) and Chip Pickering (R-Miss.).
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueOctober 2007
Also By This Author
This legislation would enhance rheumatic disease research and public awareness of these often debilitating diseases by:
- Implementing a national arthritis action plan to enhance support for federal- and state-level public health activities and outreach programs to prevent and manage arthritis;
- Developing a national education and outreach campaign to teach healthcare professionals and the public successful self-management strategies for controlling arthritis;
- Establishing a coordinating committee to oversee all national research institutes conducting research on arthritis and rheumatic diseases;
- Ensuring greater coordination and intensification of federal research efforts by organizing a National Arthritis and Rheumatic Diseases Summit to examine challenges and opportunities related to basic, clinical, and translational research and development efforts;
- Increasing attention to juvenile arthritis research through the creation of planning grants for innovative and collaborative research specific to juvenile arthritis, with a focus on better understanding the prevalence, incidence, and outcomes associated with juvenile arthritis; and
- Creating incentives to encourage health professionals to enter the field of pediatric rheumatology by establishing education loan repayment and career development award programs.
Focus on Education
In collaboration with the Arthritis Foundation, the ACR has worked diligently to increase awareness of and request support for this groundbreaking legislation on Capitol Hill. However, Congress wants to hear from its constituents. Encourage your patients to contact their Representatives and Senators to support the Arthritis Act.
Contacting Congress is easy: Write a letter, send an e-mail, make a quick phone call, or direct patients to the ACR Legislative Action Center (www.capwiz.com/acr) where electronic form letters are available.
For questions regarding the “Arthritis Prevention, Control, and Cure Act of 2007” or ACR advocacy efforts, contact Government Affairs Director, Kristin Wormley or Government Affairs Specialist Aiken Hackett at (404) 633-3777.