Ruth Jessen Hickman, MD, is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Medicine. She is a freelance medical and science writer living in Bloomington, Ind.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJanuary 2021
Also By This Author
- Venuturupalli RS, Chu T, Vicari M, et al. Virtual reality-based biofeedback and guided meditation in rheumatology: A pilot study. ACR Open Rheumatology. 2019 Nov 11;1(10): 667–675.
- Ball EF, Nur Shafna Muhammad Sharizan E, Franklin G, Rogozińska E. Does mindfulness meditation improve chronic pain? A systematic review. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Dec;29(6):359–366.
- Hoffman HG, Richards TL, Van Oostrom T, et al. The analgesic effects of opioids and immersive virtual reality distraction: Evidence from subjective and functional brain imaging assessments. Anesth Analg. 2007 Dec;105(6):1776–1783.
- Li A, Montaño Z, Chen VJ, Gold JI. Virtual reality and pain management: Current trends and future directions. Pain Manag. 2011 Mar;1(2):147–157.
- Sharar SR, Miller W, Teeley A, et al. Applications of virtual reality for pain management in burn-injured patients. Expert Rev Neurother. 2008 Nov;8(11):1667–1674.