As medical care becomes more complex, consultation frequency increases and teamwork in medical care becomes more critical, enhancing consult interactions holds great promise.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMay 2018
Eli M. Miloslavsky, MD, is an assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston.
Jakob I. McSparron, MD, is an assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Miloslavsky EM, McSparron JI, Richards JB, et al. Teaching during consultation: Factors affecting the resident-fellow teaching interaction. Med Educ. 2015 Jul;49(7):717–730.
- Adams TN, Bonsall J, Hunt D, et al. Hospitalist perspective of interactions with medicine subspecialty consult services. J Hosp Med. 2017 Nov 22.
- Horn L, Tzanetos K, Thorpe K, Straus SE. Factors associated with the subspecialty choices of internal medicine residents in Canada. BMC Med Educ. 2008 Jun 26;8:37.
- Kolasinski SL, Bass AR, Kane-Wanger GF, et al. Subspecialty choice: Why did you become a rheumatologist? Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Dec 15;57(8:1546–1551.
- Battafarano DF, Ditmyer M, Bolster MB, et al. 2015 American College of Rheumatology workforce study: Supply and demand projections of adult rheumatology workforce, 2015–2030. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018 Apr;70(4):617–626.
- Kessler CS, Afshar Y, Sardar G, et al. A prospective, randomized, controlled study demonstrating a novel, effective model of transfer of care between physicians: The 5 Cs of consultation. Acad Emerg Med. 2012 Aug;19(8):968–974.
- Chan T, Orlich D, Kulasegaram K, Sherbino J. Understanding communication between emergency and consulting physicians: A qualitative study that describes and defines the essential elements of the emergency department consultation-referral process for the junior learner. CJEM. 2013 Jan;15(1):42–51.
- Salerno SM, Hurst FP, Halvorson S, Mercado DL. Principles of effective consultation: An update for the 21st-century consultant. Arch Intern Med. 2007 Feb 12;167(3):271–275.
- Gupta S, Alladina J, Heaton K, Miloslavsky E. A randomized trial of an intervention to improve resident-fellow teaching interactions on the wards. BMC Med Educ. 2016 Oct 20;16(1):276.
- Miloslavsky EM, Degnan K, McNeill J, McSparron JI. Use of Fellow as Clinical Teacher (FACT) curriculum for teaching during consultation: Effect on subspecialty fellow teaching skills. J Grad Med Educ. 2017 Jun;9(3):345–350.
- Miloslavsky EM, Chang Y. Development and Evaluation of a Novel Survey Tool Assessing Inpatient Consult Service Performance. J Grad Med Educ. 2017 Dec;9(6):759–762.