Dr. Cutolo is professor of rheumatology, director of the Research Laboratories and Academic Unit of Clinical Rheumatology, and director of the Postgraduate Academic School of Rheumatology at the University of Genova in Italy; past chair of the EULAR Standing Committee for Education and Training (ESCET); and president-elect of EULAR.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2011
- Cutolo M, Sulli A, Smith V. Assessing microvascular changes in systemic sclerosis diagnosis and management. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010;6:578-587.
- LeRoy EC, Medsger TA Jr. Criteria for the classification of early systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol. 2001;28:1573-1576.
- Koenig, M, Joyal F, Fritzler MJ, et al. Autoantibodies and microvascular damage are independent predictive factors for the progression of Raynaud’s phenomenon to systemic sclerosis: A twenty-year prospective study of 586 patients, with validation of proposed criteria for early systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3902-3912.
- Cutolo M, Capellino S, Straub RH. Oestrogens in rheumatic diseases: Friend or foe? Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008;47:3:iii2-5.
- Herrick AL, Cutolo M. Clinical implications from capillaroscopic analysis in patients with Raynaud’s phenomenon and systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:2595-2604.
- Cutolo M, Straub RH, Bijlsma JW. Neuroendocrine-immune interactions in synovitis. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2007;3:627-634.
- Sulli A, Secchi ME, Pizzorni C, et al. Scoring the nailfold microvascular changes during the capillaroscopic analysis in systemic sclerosis patients. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67:885-887.
- Smith V, Pizzorni C, De Keyser F, et al. Reliability of the qualitative and semiquantitative nailfold videocapillaroscopy assessment in a systemic sclerosis cohort: A two-centre study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1092-1096.
- Hirschl M, Hirschl K, Lenz M, et al. Transition from primary Raynaud’s phenomenon to secondary Raynaud’s phenomenon identified by diagnosis of an associated disease: Results of ten years of prospective surveillance. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:1974-1981.
- Cutolo M, Pizzorni C, Sulli A. Identification of transition from primary Raynaud’s phenomenon to secondary Raynaud’s phenomenon by nailfold videocapillaroscopy: Comment on the article by Hirschl et al. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:2102-2103.
- Valim V, Assis LS, Simoes MF, et al. Correlation between serum E-selectin levels and panoramic nailfold capillaroscopy in systemic sclerosis. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2004;37:1423-1427.
- Del Rosso A, Distler O, Milia AF, et al. Increased circulating levels of tissue kallikrein in systemic sclerosis correlate with microvascular involvement. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005;64:382-387.
- Sulli A, Soldano S, Pizzorni C, et al. Raynaud’s phenomenon and plasma endothelin: Correlations with capillaroscopic patterns in systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:1235-1239.
- Soldano S, Montagna P, Villaggio B, et al. Endothelin and sex hormones modulate the fibronectin synthesis by cultured human skin scleroderma fibroblasts. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:599-602.
- Caramaschi P, Canestrini S, Martinelli N, et al. Scleroderma patients nailfold videocapillaroscopic patterns are associated with disease subset and disease severity. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2007;46:1566-1569.
- Smith V, Pizzorni C, De Keyser F, et al. Validation of the qualitative and semiquantitative assessment of the scleroderma spectrum patterns by nailfold videocapillaroscopy: Preliminary results [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60 Suppl:S164-S165.
- Cutolo M, Ferrone C, Pizzorni C. et al. peripheral blood perfusion correlates with microvascular abnormalities in systemic sclerosis: A laser-doppler and nailfold videocapillaroscopy study. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:1174-1180.
- Sebastiani M, Manfredi A, Colaci M, et al. Capillaroscopic skin ulcer risk index: A new prognostic tool for digital skin ulcer development in systemic sclerosis patients. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61:688-694.
- Kim HS, Park MK, Kim HY, et al. Capillary dimension measured by computer-based digitalized image correlated with plasma endothelin-1 levels in patients with systemic sclerosis. Clin Rheumatol. 2010;29:247-254.
- Smith V, De Keyser F, Pizzorni C, et al. Nailfold capillaroscopy for day-to-day clinical use: Construction of a simple scoring modality as a clinical prognostic index for digital trophic lesions. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011;70:180-183.
- Ong YY, Nikoloutsopoulos T, Bond CP, et al. Decreased nailfold capillary density in limited scleroderma with pulmonary hypertension. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 1998;16:81-86.
- Bredemeier M, Xavier RM, Capobianco KG, et al. Nailfold capillary microscopy can suggest pulmonary disease activity in systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol. 2004;31:286-294.
- Hofstee HM, Noordegraaf AV, Voskuyl AE, et al. Nailfold capillary density is associated with the presence and severity of pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:191-195.
- Filaci G, Cutolo M, Scudeletti M, et al. Cyclosporin A and iloprost treatment of systemic sclerosis: Clinical results and interleukin-6 serum changes after 12 months of therapy. Rheumatology (Oxford). 1999;38:992-996.
- Filaci G, Cutolo M, Basso M, et al. Long-term treatment of patients affected by systemic sclerosis with cyclosporin A. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2001;40:1431-1434.
- Caramaschi P, Volpe A, Pieropan S, et al. Cyclophosphamide treatment improves microvessel damage in systemic sclerosis. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;28:391-395.
- Aschwanden M, Daikeler T, Jaeger KA, et al. Rapid improvement of nailfold capillaroscopy after intense immunosuppression far systemic sclerosis and mixed connective tissue disease. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67:1057-1059.
- Maricq HR, Spencer-Green G, LeRoy EC. Skin capillary abnormalities as indicators of organ involvement in scleroderma (systemic sclerosis), Raynaud’s syndrome and dermatomyositis. Am J Med. 1976;61:862-870.
- Cutolo M, Smith V, Sulli A, eds. Atlas of capillaroscopy in rheumatic diseases. Elsevier (Milan,Italy), 2010.