- ANCA-associated vasculitis should be considered in children with coronary artery aneurysms, especially if their presentation is atypical for Kawasaki disease;
- The clinician who suspects or diagnoses an ANCA-associated vasculitis in a pediatric patient should consider coronary artery aneurysms as a possible and dangerous sequela; and
- Coronary artery aneurysms should be included in the PVAS scoring criteria.
Tryphina Adel Mikhail has a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences and is a fourth-year medical student at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando. She plans to pursue a career in pediatrics and medical education.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2021
Mary Bratovich Toth, MD, is a professor of pediatrics at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine and the pediatric rheumatology division chief for Nemours Children’s Hospital, Orlando. She is faculty for the adult rheumatology fellowship at the University of Central Florida and active in CARRA (Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance).
- Dolezalova P, Price-Kuehne FE, Özen S, et al. Disease activity assessment in childhood vasculitis: Development and preliminary validation of the Paediatric Vasculitis Activity Score (PVAS). Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Oct;
- Jones RB, Cohen Tervaert JW, Hauser T, et al. Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide in ANCA-associated renal vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jul;363(3):211–220.
- 3Guillevin L, Pagnoux C, Karras A, et al. Rituximab versus azathioprine for maintenance in ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2014 Nov;371(19):1771–1780.
- Cabral DA, Canter DL, Muscal E, et al. Comparing presenting clinical features in 48 children with microscopic polyangiitis to 183 children who have granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener’s): An ARChiVe cohort study. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 Oct;68(10):2514–2526.
- Iudici M, Quartier P, Terrier B, et al. Childhood-onset granulomatosis with polyangiitis and microscopic polyangiitis: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2016 Oct 22;11(1):141.
- Panupattanapong S, Stwalley DL, White AJ, et al. Epidemiology and outcomes of granulomatosis with polyangiitis in pediatric and working‐age adult populations in the United States: Analysis of a large national claims database. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018 Dec;70(12):2067–2076.
- Jariwala MP, Laxer RM. Primary vasculitis in childhood: GPA and MPA in childhood. Front Pediatr. 2018 Aug 16;6:226.
- Musuruana JL, Cavallasca JA, Berduc J, et al. Coronary artery aneurysms in Wegener’s granulomatosis. Joint Bone Spine. 2011 May;78(3):309–311.
- Varnier GC, Sebire N, Christov G, et al. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis mimicking infective endocarditis in an adolescent male. Clin Rheumatol. 2016 Sep;35(9):2369–2372.