I hope that some of those damages may be redirected toward such efforts as the Intermountain Healthcare initiative to bring at least some part of the generic drug industry into the nonprofit arena. Profit surely drives innovation, and I would not begrudge anyone the opportunity to make a buck off their hard work. For drugs that have been around for a generation, however, I think we have earned the right to expect they will remain both available and affordable—and the right to breathe.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMay 2018
Also By This Author
Philip Seo, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore. He is director of both the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program.
- Generic drugs: Questions and answers. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Updated 2018 Jan 4.
- Davit et al. Comparing generic and innovator drugs: A review of 12 years of bioequivalence data from the United States Food and Drug Administration. Ann Pharmacother. 2009 Oct;43(10):1583–1597.
- Kesselheim AS, Misono AS, Lee JL, et al. Clinical equivalence of generic and brand-name drugs used in cardiovascular disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008 Dec 3;300(21):2514–2526.
- Generic competition and drug prices. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Updated 2017 Nov 28.
- Generic drug access & savings in the U.S. Association for Accessible Medicines. 2017.
- Pear R. Drug company ‘shenanigans’ to block generics come under federal scrutiny. The New York Times. 2018 Apr 15;A20.
- Berkrot B. Pharma’s Puerto Rico problems could mean drug shortages: FDA chief. Reuters. 2017 Oct 10.
- Gottlieb S. Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on new steps to facilitate efficient generic drug review to enhance competition, promote access and lower drug prices (FDA statement). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2018 Jan 3.
- Abelson R, Thomas K. Fed up with drug companies, hospitals decide to start their own. The New York Times. 2018 Jan 18;B1.
- Dafney L. Fair pharma? Intermountain’s new generic drug company. NEJM Catalyst. 2018 Feb 1.
- Pear R. Why your pharmacist can’t tell you that $20 prescription could cost only $8. The New York Times. 2018 Feb 24;A12.
- Tyrell KA. Arkansas PBM bill: A step in the right direction. ACR@Work. 2018 Apr 12.
- Brennan Z. Maryland lawmakers pass generic drug price gouging bill. Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society. 2017 Apr 10.
- Part D. Generic drug prices declined overall, but some had extraordinary price increases. U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2016 Aug 12.
- Lane C. Probe into generic drug price fixing set to widen. Morning Edition. NPR. 2018 Mar 7.
- Diamond ML. Eaton drug execs will tell all in price-fixing case. Asbury Park Press. 2017 May 24.