Since the 1990s, the pool of healthcare providers serving as APPs has evolved beyond the traditional model of NPs and PAs to include PTs, OTs, pharmacists and other healthcare providers, such as social workers and dietitians. Patient-centered holistic care for complex diseases takes a village. Early intervention and consultation with the entire care team can significantly impact the RMD management process, improving the patient’s quality of life and the rheumatologist’s practice.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueAugust 2021
Kimberly Steinbarger, PT, MHS, DHSc, is a physical therapist, an individual with rheumatoid arthritis and the director of clinical education for the School of Physical Therapy, Husson University, Bangor, Maine.
Saba Mohiuddin, PharmD, BCACP, is the rheumatology clinical pharmacy specialist at Cleveland Clinic, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Disease, Ohio.
- Upchurch KS, Kay J. Evolution of treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2012 Dec;51(suppl 6):vi28–vi36.
- Bartlett SJ, Hewlett S, Bingham CO, et al. Identifying core domains to assess flare in rheumatoid arthritis: An OMERACT international patient and provider combined Delphi consensus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012 Nov;71(11):1855–1860.
- Dures E, Almeida C, Caesley J, et al. Patient preferences for psychological support in inflammatory arthritis: A multicentre survey. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016 Jan;75(1):142–147.
- Management of early rheumatoid arthritis. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. 2011 Feb.
- Bornhöft L, Larsson MEH, Nordeman L, et al. Health effects of direct triaging to physiotherapists in primary care for patients with musculoskeletal disorders: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2019 Feb 15;11:1759720X19827504.
- Barbour KE, Helmick CG, Boring M, Brady TJ. Vital signs: Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation—United States, 2013–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017 Mar 10;66(9):246–253.
- Ries E. A deepening footprint. American Physical Therapy Association. 2018 Dec 1.
- Annual physical therapy visit. American Physical Therapy Association.
- Queiroz de Almeida PHT, Pontes TB, Matheus JPC, et al. [Occupational therapy in rheumatoid arthritis: What rheumatologists need to know.] Rev Bras Reumatol. 2015 May–Jun;55(3):272–280.