Lynn R. Spiegel, MD, FRCPC, is a rheumatologist in the Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, and assistant professor in the Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMay 2015
- Blum RW, Garell D, Hodgman CH, et al. Transition from child-centered to adult health-care systems for adolescents with chronic conditions. A position paper of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. J Adolesc Health. 1993 Nov;14(7):570–576.
- Shaw P, Kabani NJ, Lerch JP, et al. Neurodevelopmental trajectories of the human cerebral cortex. J Neurosci. 2008 Apr 2;28(14):3586–3594.
- Prior M, McManus M, White P, et al. Measuring the ‘triple aim’ in transition care: A systematic review. Pediatrics. 2014 Dec;134(6):e1648–1661.
- Hazel E, Zhang X, Duffy CM, et al. High rates of unsuccessful transfer to adult care among young adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2010 Jan 11;8:2.
- Tucker L, Cabral DA. Transition of the adolescent patient with rheumatic disease: Issues to consider. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2005 Apr;52(2):641–652, viii.
- Muller L, Kellenberger CJ, Cannizzaro E, et al. Early diagnosis of temporomandibular joint involvement in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: A pilot study comparing clinical examination and ultrasound to magnetic resonance imaging. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009 June;48(6):680–685.
- Weiss PF, Arabshahi B, Johnson A, et al. High prevalence of temporomandibular joint arthritis at disease onset in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis, as detected by magnetic resonance imaging but not by ultrasound. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Apr;58(4):1189–1196.
- Foster CS. Diagnosis and treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2003 Dec;14(6):395–398.
- Peterson LS, Mason T, Nelson AM, et al. Psychosocial outcomes and health status of adults who have had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: A controlled, population-based study. Arthritis Rheum. 1997 Dec;40(12):2235–2240.
- Ruperto N, Ravelli A, Levinson JE, et al. Long-term health outcomes and quality of life in American and Italian inception cohorts of patients with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. II. Early predictors of outcome. J Rheumatol. 1997;24(5):952–958.
- Zak M, Pedersen FK. Juvenile chronic arthritis into adulthood: A long-term follow-up study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2000 Feb;39(2):198–204.
- Oen K. Comparative epidemiology of the rheumatic diseases in children. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2000 Sep;12(5):410–414.
- Minden K, Niewerth M, Listing J, et al. Long-term outcome in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002 Sep;46(9):2392–2401.
- Flato B, Lien G, Smerdel A, et al. Prognostic factors in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: A case-control study revealing early predictors and outcome after 14.9 years. J Rheumatol. 2003 Feb;30(2):386–393.
- Fantini F, Gerloni V, Gattinara M, et al. Remission in juvenile chronic arthritis: A cohort study of 683 consecutive cases with a mean 10 year followup. J Rheumatol. 2003 Mar;30(3):579–584.
- Foster HE, Marshall N, Myers A, et al. Outcome in adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: A quality of life study. Arthritis Rheum. 2003 Mar;48(3):767–775.
- Nordal E, Zak M, Aalto K, et al. Ongoing disease activity and changing categories in a long-term nordic cohort study of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Sep;63(9):2809–2818.
- Packham JC, Hall MA. Long-term follow-up of 246 adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Functional outcome. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Dec;41(12):1428–1435.
- Packham JC, Hall MA. Long-term follow-up of 246 adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Education and employment. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Dec;41(12):1436–1439.
- Packham JC, Hall MA. Long-term follow-up of 246 adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Social function, relationships and sexual activity. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Dec;41(12):1440–1443.
- Packham JC, Hall MA, Pimm TJ. Long-term follow-up of 246 adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Predictive factors for mood and pain. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Dec;41(12):1444–1449.
- Kotaniemi K, Arkela-Kautiainen M, Haapasaari J, et al. Uveitis in young adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: A clinical evaluation of 123 patients. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005 Jun;64(6):871–874.
- McDonagh JE. Young people first, juvenile idiopathic arthritis second: Transitional care in rheumatology. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Aug 15;59(8):1162–1170.
- Hait E, Arnold JH, Fishman LN. Educate, communicate, anticipate-practical recommendations for transitioning adolescents with IBD to adult healthcare. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2006 Jan;12(1):70–73.
- Wolf-Branigin M, Schuyler V, White P. Improving quality of life and career attitudes of youth with disabilities: Experiences from the Adolescent Employment Readiness Center. Res Soc Work Pract. 2007;17(324).
- Stinson JN, McGrath PJ, Hodnett ED, et al. An Internet-based self-management program with telephone support for adolescents with arthritis: A pilot randomized controlled trial. J Rheumatol. 2010 Sep;37(9):1944–1952.
- Stinson J, Kohut SA, Spiegel L, et al. A systematic review of transition readiness and transfer satisfaction measures for adolescents with chronic illness. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2014;26(2):159–174.
- Stinson J, Spiegel L, Duffy KW, et al. Development and testing of the readiness for adult care in rheumatology (RACER) questionnaire for adolescents with rheumatic conditions. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71(Suppl 3).