“The concept for UCOIN evolved from the desire to duplicate the conditions that allowed the success of TLI,” says Ms. McCalla, “and to leverage the lessons learned to enable the ACR to anticipate and manage challenges that will result from scaling up.”
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueSeptember 2018
Also By This Author
If UCOIN follows the lessons of TLI, it should enjoy much success. Ms. McCalla underscores that the initial vision for TLI as a stand-alone, short-term experiment has blossomed into a national, well-respected health disparities program.
Because UCOIN is still in its infancy phase, Ms. McCalla encourages member input to help refine both the concept of UCOIN as well as the processes that support it. UCOIN will officially launch at the 2018 annual meeting.
Ms. McCalla urges members to keep an eye out for the launch at the annual meeting, as well as for information leading up to the annual meeting that will better inform them about the resources and opportunities available to them regarding UCOIN and how to access them.
Mary Beth Nierengarten is a freelance medical journalist based in Minneapolis.
- Greenberg JD, Spruill TM, Shan Y, et al. Racial and ethnic disparities in disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Am J Med. 2013 Dec;126(12):1089–1098.
- Izmirly PM, Wan I, Sahl S, et al. The incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematous: The Manhattan Lupus Surveillance Program. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017 Oct;69(10):2006–2017.
- Dall’Era M, Cisternas MG, Snipes K, et al. The incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematous: The California Lupus Surveillance Project. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017 Oct;69(10):1996–2005.
- Somers EC, Marder W, Cagnoli P, et al. Population-based incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus: The Michigan Lupus Epidemiology and Surveillance Program. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014 Feb;66(2):369–378.
- Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare. National Academies Press, 2003.
- Ubri P, Artiga S. (2016 Aug). Disparities in Health and Healthcare: Five Key Questions and Answers.