“I think it would be helpful to stratify and pool the data that we already have for these drugs and look into the differences between men and women,” says Dr. van der Horst-Bruinsma. “I think we have to be careful not to say, ‘We did a multi-logistic regression analysis, and it doesn’t come out,’ because if the population of women is too low, you will not find significant difference. But if you have sufficient data on men and women, you might find differences.”
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueDecember 2019
Also By This Author
Ruth Jessen Hickman, MD, is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Medicine. She is a freelance medical and science writer living in Bloomington, Ind.
- Lee W, Reveille JD, Weisman MH. Women with ankylosing spondylitis: A review. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Mar 15;59(3):449–454.
- Purnamawati K, Ong JA, Deshpande S, et al. The importance of sex stratification in autoimmune disease biomarker research: A systematic review. Front Immunol. 2018 Jun 4;9:1208.
- Moulton VR. Sex hormones in acquired immunity and autoimmune disease. Front Immunol. 2018 Oct 4;9:2279.
- Rudwaleit M, van der Heijde D, Landewé R, et al. The development of Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part II): Validation and final selection. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009 Jun;68(6):777–783.
- van der Linden S, Valkenburg HA, Cats A. Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for ankylosing spondylitis. A proposal for modification of the New York criteria. Arthritis Rheum. 1984 Apr;27(4):361–368.
- Malaviya AN, Rawat R, Agrawal N, et al. The nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis, the radiographic axial spondyloarthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis: The tangled skein of rheumatology. Int J Rheumatol. 2017;2017:1824794.
- Rusman T, van Vollenhoven RF, van der Horst-Bruinsma IE. Gender Differences in axial spondyloarthritis: Women are not so lucky. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2018 May 12;20(6):35.
- Polley HF, Slocumb CH. Rheumatoid spondylitis: A study of 1,035 cases. Ann Intern Med. 1947 Feb;26(2):240–249.
- Neuenschwander R, Ciurea A. Gender differences in axial spondyloarthritis. World J Rheumatol. 2014 Nov 12;4(3):35–43.
- van der Horst-Bruinsma IE, Zack DJ, Szumski A, et al. Female patients with ankylosing spondylitis: Analysis of the impact of gender across treatment studies. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Jul;72(7):1221–1224.
- Gracey E, Yao Y, Green B, et al. Sexual dimorphism in the Th17 signature of ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 Mar;68(3):679–689.
- Lee W, Reveille JD, Davis JC Jr, et al. Are there gender differences in severity of ankylosing spondylitis? Results from the PSOAS cohort. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006 May;66(5):633–638.
- Braun J. Axial spondyloarthritis including ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Nov;57(Suppl 6):vi1–vi3.
- Jovani V, Blasco-Blasco M, Pascual E, et al. Challenges to conquer from the gender perspective in medicine: The case of spondyloarthritis. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 12;13(10):e0205751.
- Jovaní V, Blasco-Blasco M, Ruiz-Cantero MT, et al. Understanding how the diagnostic delay of spondyloarthritis differs between women and men: A systematic review and metaanalysis. J Rheumatol. 2017 Feb;44(2):174–183.
- Hebeisen M, Neuenschwander R, Scherer A, et al. Response to tumor necrosis factor inhibition in male and female patients with ankylosing spondylitis: Data from a Swiss cohort. J Rheumatol. 2018 Apr;45(4):506–512.
- Rusman T, Ten Wolde S, Euser SM, et al. Gender differences in retention rate of tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitor treatment in ankylosing spondylitis: A retrospective cohort study in daily practice. Int J Rheum Dis. 2018 Apr;21(4):836–842.
- Ibáñez Vodnizza SE, Nurmohamed MT, Visman IM, et al. Fat mass lowers the response to tumor necrosis factor-α blockers in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. J Rheumatol. 2017 Sep;44(9):1355–1361.
- Tannenbaum C, Day D, Matera Alliance. Age and sex in drug development and testing for adults. Pharmacol Res. 2017 Jul;121:83–93.