The session demonstrated that it’s an exciting time in the area of vasculitis treatment and research, and the next frontier in the field may be devising the best methods to induce and monitor for disease remission. As in treatment of these conditions, researchers will stay the course and seek to better understand the ideal way to help patients in the years to come.
You Might Also Like
Also By This Author
Jason Liebowitz, MD, recently completed his fellowship in rheumatology at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, where he also earned his MD. He is currently in practice with Arthritis, Rheumatic, and Back Disease Associates, New Jersey.
- Jardel S, Puéchal X, Le Quellec A, et al. Mortality in systemic necrotizing vasculitides: A retrospective analysis of the French Vasculitis Study Group registry. Autoimmun Rev. 2018 Jul;17(7):653–659.
- Wallace ZS, Lu N, Miloslavsky E, et al. Nationwide trends in hospitalizations and in-hospital mortality in granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener’s). Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017 Jun;69(6):915–921.
- Wallace ZS, Zhang Y, Lu N, et al. Improving mortality in end-stage renal disease due to granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener’s) from 1995 to 2014: Data from the U.S. Renal Data System. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018 Oct;70(10):1495–1500.
- Jayne D, Rasmussen N, Andrassy K, et al. A randomized trial of maintenance therapy for vasculitis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jul 3;349(1):36–44.
- Pagnoux C, Mahr A, Hamidou MA, et al. Azathioprine or methotrexate maintenance for ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2008 Dec 25;359(26):2790–2803.
- Guillevin L, Pagnoux C, Karras A, et al. Rituximab vs. azathioprine for maintenance in ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 2014 Nov 6;371(19):1771–1780.
- Charles P, Terrier B, Perrodeau É, et al. Comparison of individually tailored versus fixed-schedule rituximab regimen to maintain ANCA-associated vasculitis remission: Results of a multicentre, randomized controlled, phase 3 trial (MAINRITSAN2). Ann Rheum Dis. 2018 Aug;77(8):1143–1149.
- Villiger PM, Adler S, Kuchen S, et al. Tocilizumab for induction and maintenance of remission in giant cell arteritis: A phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2016 May 7;387(10031):1921–1927.
- Stone JH, Tuckwell K, Dimonaco S, et al. Trial of tocilizumab in giant cell arteritis. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jul 27;377(4):317–328.
- Adler S, Reichenbach S, Gloor A, et al. Risk of relapse after discontinuation of tocilizumab therapy in giant cell arteritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019 Mar 26. [Epub ahead of print]