Acknowledgment: I appreciate the editorial assistance and advice of Julian Prokopetz in preparing this manuscript.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2012
Dr. Katz is professor of medicine and orthopedics with the department of orthopedics and the division of rheumatology, immunology, and allergy at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass.
- Katz JN, Dalgas M, Stucki G, et al. Degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis: Diagnostic value of the history and physical examination. Arthritis Rheum. 1995;38:1236-1241.
- Katz JN, Harris MB. Clinical practice: Lumbar spinal stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:818-825.
- Suri P, Rainville J, Kalichman L, Katz JN. Does this older adult with lower extremity pain have the clinical syndrome of lumbar spinal stenosis? JAMA. 2010;304:2628-2636.
- Jensen MC, Brant-Zawadzki MN, Obuchowski N, Modic MT, Malkasian D, Ross JS. Magnetic resonance imaging of the lumbar spine in people without back pain. N Engl J Med. 1994;331:69-73.
- Deyo RA, Mirza SK, Martin BI, Kreuter W, Goodman DC, Jarvik JG. Trends, major medical complications, and charges associated with surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis in older adults. JAMA. 2010;303:1259-1265.
- Weinstein JN, Tosteson TD, Lurie JD, et al. Surgical versus nonsurgical therapy for lumbar spinal stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:794-810.