Philip Seo, MD, MHS, is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore. He is director of both the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueMarch 2020
Also By This Author
Author’s note: I would like to thank Tim Hinze PharmD, RPh, and Michele B. Kaufman, PharmD, BCGP, RPh, for their helpful comments on this column.
- Dean B, Barber N, Schachter M. What is a prescribing error? Qual Health Care. 2000 Dec;9(4):232–237.
- Institute of Medicine To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington: National Academy Press, 1999.
- Devine EB, Hansen RN, Wilson-Norton JL, et al. The impact of computerized provider order entry on medication errors in a multispecialty group practice. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010 Jan–Feb;17(1):78–84.
- Graber ML, Siegal D, Riah H, et al. Electronic health record-related events in medical malpractice claims. J Patient Saf. 2019 Jun;15(2):77–85.
- Jaret P. Avoiding pharmacy errors. 2020 Jan 1.
- Scott DM, Wessels MJ. Impact of OBRA ’90 on pharmacists’ patient counseling practices. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash). 1997 Jul–Aug;NS37(4):401–406.
- Gabler E. How chaos at chain pharmacies is putting patients at risk. The New York Times. 2020 Jan 31.
- Benavides S, Rambaran KA. Pharmacy technicians: Expanding role with uniform expectations, education, and limits in scope of practice. J Res Pharm Pract. 2013 Oct;2(4):137–137.
- Gorbach CG, Blanton L, Lukawski BA, et al. Frequency of and risk factors for medication errors by pharmacists during order verification in a tertiary care medical center. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015 Sep 1;72(17):1471–1474.
- Roe S, Long R, King K. Pharmacies miss half of dangerous drug combinations. Chicago Tribune. 2016 Dec 15.
- Jones GM, Roe NA, Louden L, Tubbs CR. Factors associated with burnout among US hospital clinical pharmacy practitioners: Results of a nationwide pilot survey. Hosp Pharm. 2017 Dec;52(11):742–751.
- Gaither CA, Schommer JC, Doucette WR, et al. 2014 National Pharmacist Workforce Survey. Midwest Pharmacy Workforce Consortium. 2015 Apr 8.
- The Council of Economic Advisers. Reforming biopharmaceutical pricing at home and abroad. 2018 Feb.
- New drug pricing analysis reveals where PBMs and pharmacies make their money. 46brooklyn Research. 2019.
- IQVIA Institute. Medicine use and spending in the US. 2019 May 9.
- Collaborative Pharmaceutical Task Force.