Leonard H. Calabrese, DO, is a professor of medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, holds the R.J. Fasenmyer Chair of Clinical Immunology and the Theodore F. Classen, DO, Chair of Osteopathic Research and Education, and serves as the vice chair of the Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases at the Cleveland Clinic.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJanuary 2021
- Cassell EJ. The Nature of Healing. New York: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Hojat M. Empathy in Health Professions Education and Patient Care. New York: Springer International Publishing; 2016.
- Riess H. The science of empathy. J Patient Exp. 2017 Jun;4(2):74–77.
- Riess H, Kelley JM, Bailey RW, et al. Empathy training for resident physicians: A randomized controlled trial of a neuroscience-informed curriculum. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Oct;27(10):1280–1286.
- Hojat M, Mangione S, Gonnella JS, et al. Empathy in medical education and patient care. Acad Med. 2001 Jul;76(7):669.
- Rakel DP, Hoeft TJ, Barrett BP, et al. Practitioner empathy and the duration of the common cold. Fam Med. 2009 Jul–Aug;41(7):494–501.
- Chaitoff A, Rothberg MB, Windover AK, et al. Physician empathy is not associated with laboratory outcomes in diabetes: A cross-sectional study. J Gen Intern Med. 2019 Jan;34(1):75–81.
- Kahn MW. Etiquette-based medicine. N Engl J Med. 2008 May 8;358(19):1988–1989.
- Melnick ER, Powsner SM. Empathy in the time of burnout. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 Dec;91(12):1678–1679.
- Peabody FW. The care of the patient. JAMA. 1927;88:877–882.
- Hojat M, Gonnella JS, Nasca TJ, et al. Physician empathy: Definition, components, measurement, and relationship to gender and specialty. Am J Psychiatry. 2002 Sep;159(9):1563–1569.
- Ferreira RJO, de Wit M, Henriques M, et al. ‘It can’t be zero!’ Difficulties in completing patient global assessment in rheumatoid arthritis: A mixed methods study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020 May 1;59(5):1137–1147.
- Challa DN, Kvrgic Z, Cheville AL, et al. Patient-provider discordance between global assessments of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis: A comprehensive clinical evaluation. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017 Sep 26;19(1):212.
- Lindström Egholm C, Krogh NS, Pincus T, et al. Discordance of global assessments by patient and physician is higher in female than in male patients regardless of the physician’s sex: Data on patients with rheumatoid arthritis, axial spondyloarthritis, and psoriatic arthritis from the DANBIO registry. J Rheumatol. 2015 Oct;42(10):1781–1785.
- Kvrgic Z, Asiedu GB, Crowson CS, et al. ‘Like no one is listening to me’: A qualitative study of patient-provider discordance between global assessments of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018 Oct;70(10):1439–1447.
- Bechman K, Yates M, Norton S, et al. Placebo response in rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials. J Rheumatol. 2020 Jan;47(1):28–34.
- Blasini M, Peiris N, Wright T, Colloca L. The role of patient-practitioner relationships in placebo and nocebo phenomena. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2018;139:211–231.
- Colloca L, Barsky AJ. Placebo and nocebo effects. N Engl J Med. 2020 Feb 6;382(6):554–561.
- Georgopoulou S, Prothero L, Lempp H, et al. Motivational interviewing: Relevance in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis? Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016 Aug;55(8):1348–1356.
- Hardee JT, Platt FW. Exploring and overcoming barriers to clinical empathic communication. J Commun Healthc. 2010;3(1):17–23.
- Hojat M, Vergare MJ, Maxwell K, et al. The devil is in the third year: A longitudinal study of erosion of empathy in medical school. Acad Med. 2009 Sep;84(9):1182–1191.
- Riess H. Empathy training for health care providers. Health Aff (Millwood). 2020 Jun;39(6):1097.
- Kraft-Todd GT, Reinero DA, Kelley JM, et al. Empathic nonverbal behavior increases ratings of both warmth and competence in a medical context. PloS One. 2017 May 15;12(5):e0177758.
- Boissy A, Windover AK, Bokar D, et al. Communication skills training for physicians improves patient satisfaction. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Jul;31(7):755–761.
- Hojat M. Ten approaches for enhancing empathy in health and human services cultures. J Health Hum Serv Adm. 2009 spring;31(4):412–450.
- Calabrese LH. Why mindfulness/meditation is a ‘no-brainer’ for health-care professionals. J Patient Exp. 2019 Mar;6(1):21–23.