In addition, the TJAOM Toolkit also provides templates of discharge letters providing options for reporting results and communicating with referring physicians.
The entire Toolkit can be easily accessed online at http://physicaltherapy.med.ubc.ca/physical-therapy-knowledge-broker/total-joint-arthroplasty-and-outcome-measures-tjaom-toolkit.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueSeptember 2016
TJAOM Toolkit Kudos
A recent evaluation of the reach of the TJAOM Toolkit revealed that it has been accessed more than 5,000 times provincially, nationally and internationally. Moreover, it is receiving recognition for its innovation and clinical utility, recently being awarded the 2016 Arthritis Health Professions Association Clinical Innovation Award.
Dolores Langford, MSc, BScPT, CHT, CAFCI, is a physiotherapy practice coordinator at Vancouver Coastal Health, B.C., Canada, and a clinical assistant professor at The University of British Columbia.
Lauren Lozinsky, BHK, MPT, CAFCI, is a registered physiotherapist at Vancouver Coastal Health, with experience in orthopedic private practice.
Alison Hoens, MSc, BScPT, PG Sports PT, is a physical therapy knowledge broker in British Columbia, a physiotherapy research, education and practice coordinator at Providence Health, B.C., Canada, and a clinical professor at the University of British Columbia.
We would like to acknowledge all members of the TJAOM Knowledge Translation Task Force for their contributions to this article: Dr. Marie Westby, chair, ARHP Practice Committee; Ronda Field; Maureen Duggan; Dolores Langford; Robyn Laytham; Steven Longstaff; Phil Sweeney; Lauren Lozinsky; and Alison Hoens.
- Katz PP. Introduction to special issue: Patient outcomes in rheumatology. Arthritis Care Res. 2011 Nov;63(Suppl 11)S1–S3.
- Dobson F, Hinman RS, Roos EM, et al. OARSI recommended performance-based tests to assess physical function in people diagnosed with hip or knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthr Cartil. 2013 Aug;21(8):1042–1052.
- Jette DU, Halbert J, Iverson C, et al. Use of standardized outcome measures in physical therapist practice: Perceptions and applications. Phys Ther. 2009 Feb;89(2):125–135.
- Westby MD, Brittain A, Backman CL. Expert consensus on best practices for post-acute rehabilitation after total hip and knee arthroplasty: A Canada and United States Delphi study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014 Mar;66(3):411–423.
- Duncan EA, Murray J. The barriers and facilitators to routine outcome measurement by allied health professionals in practice: A systematic review. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012 May 22;12:96.
- McAuley C, Westby MD, Hoens A, et al. A survey of physiotherapists’ experience using outcome measures in total hip and knee arthroplasty. Physiother Can. 2014 Summer;66(3):274–285.
- Centre of Excellence for Simulation, Education and Innovation. 2016. https://cesei.org.
* Note: The patient name is a pseudonym.