Drivers of interferon, such as endogenous cytoplasmic nucleic acids and nucleic acid-containing immune complexes, play an essential role in determining outcomes in SLE. There may be some potential for developing new lupus therapies by researching these drivers.10 Can we restore the host to that state of peaceful coexistence rather than active disease? Perhaps we can do so by mimicking the strategies that viruses use, Dr. Crow said.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueApril 2016
Also By This Author
Susan Bernstein is a freelance medical journalist based in Atlanta.
If you missed this session, it’s not too late. Catch it on SessionSelect.
- De Lange Brokaar B, Kloppenburg M, Andersen S, et al. Characterization of synovial mast cells in knee osteoarthritis: Association with clinical parameters. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015 Sept 29;67:(Suppl 10).
- Habets K, Trouw L, Levarht E, et al. Anti-citrullinated protein antibodies contribute to platelet activation in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015 Aug 24;17(1):209.
- Rombouts Y, Willemze A, van Beers J, et al. Extensive glycosylation of ACPA-IgG variable domains modulates binding to citrullinated antigens in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 25 Jan 2013.
- Park H and Atkinson J. Autoimmunity: Homeostasis of innate immunity gone awry. J Clin Immunol. 2012 Dec;32(60):1148–1152.
- Atkinson J and Goodship T. Complement Factor H and the hemolytic uremic syndrome. J Exp Med. 2007 Jun 11;204(6):1245–1248.
- Liszewski M and Atkinson JP. Complement regulator CD46: Genetic variants and disease associations. Hum Genomics. Epub ahead of print. 2015 Jun 10.
- Triebwasser M, Roberson E, Yu Y, et al. Rare variants in the functional domains of complement factor H are associated with age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015 Oct; 56(11):6873–6878.
- Crow MK, Olferiev M, and Kirou K. Targeting of type 1 interferon in systemic autoimmune diseases. Transl Res. 2015 Feb;165(2):296–305.
- Crowe S, Merrill J, Vista E, et al. Influenza vaccination responses in human systemic lupus erythematosus: Impact of clinical and demographic features. Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Aug; 63(8):2396–2406.
- Crow MK. Advances in understanding the role of type I interferons in lupus. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2014 Sep; 26(5):467–474.