This was an interesting case of cancer-associated dermatomyositis associated with an undifferentiated neuroendocrine carcinoid tumor with bilateral ovarian and bowel involvement. The flushing rash of carcinoid can mimic the rash of dermatomyositis, particularly the V sign.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueFebruary 2019
With the identification of new autoantibodies in the inflammatory myopathies, more associations will be made. We must continue to try to determine which of these novel antibodies are associated with cancer-associated dermatomyositis. We must also continue to recognize the variety of malignancies associated with this condition. Finally, more research into how to screen these patients for cancer is needed.
Osman Bhatty, MD, is a chief resident at Montefiore Medical Center Wakefield Campus, Bronx, N.Y.
Rouhin Sen, MD, is a chief resident at Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, Neb.
Joseph Nahas, MD, is an academic rheumatologist and internal medicine program director at Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, Neb.
- Dasari A, Shen C, Halperin D, et al. Trends in the incidence, prevalence and survival outcomes in patients with neuroendocrine tumors in the United States. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Oct 1;3(10):1335–1342.
- Young K, Iyer R, Morganstein D, et al. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: A review. Future Oncol. 2015;11(5):853–864.
- Marvi U, Chung L, Fiorentino DF. Clinical presentation and evaluation of dermatomyositis. Indian J Dermatol. 2012 Sep;57(5):375–381.
- Bendewald MJ, Wetter DA, Li X, Davis MD. Incidence of dermatomyositis and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis: a population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Arch Dermatol. 2010 Jan;146(1):26–30.
- Bohan A, Peter JB. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (first of two parts). N Engl J Med. 1975 Feb 13;292(7):344–347.
- Madan V, Chinoy H, Griffiths CE, Cooper RG. Defining cancer risk in dermatomyositis. Part II. Assessing diagnostic usefulness of myositis serology. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009 Jul;34(5):561–565.
- Targoff IN, Trieu EP, Sontheimer RD. Autoantibodies to 155 kD and Se antigens in patients with clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum. 2000;43(suppl 9):S194.
- Kaji K, Fujimoto M, Hasegawa M, et al. Identification of a novel autoantibody reactive with 155 and 140 kDa nuclear proteins in patients with dermatomyositis: An association with malignancy. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2007 Jan;46(1):25–28.
- Chinoy H, Fertig N, Oddis CV, et al. The diagnostic utility of myositis autoantibody testing for predicting the risk of cancer-associated myositis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2007 Oct;66(10):1345–1349.
- Leatham H, Schadt C, Chisolm S, et al. Evidence supports blind screening for internal malignancy in dermatomyositis: Data from 2 large U.S. dermatology cohorts. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018 Jan;97(2):e9639.