You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueJune 2014
Also By This Author
Deciphering Medical Jargon
At one time or another, coders, billers and other office personnel may have to decipher a patient’s medical record to determine if the record supports medical necessity for the service that was coded. To complete this task and respond to a denial or request for documentation, there must be some knowledge of medical terminology.
Below is a short quiz to test your skill level:
- Which of the following terms refers to joint pain?
- The notation “subq” indicates an area between the______?
- Bone and bone marrow
- Fascia and bone
- Muscle and bone
- Muscle and vein
- Dermis and muscle
- Which of the following is a procedure in which synovial fluid is removed for analysis?
- Which of the following is flexible connective tissue that is attached to the bones at the joints?
- The physician directs the medical assistant to complete a request for an X-ray study of the fibula. The procedure will be performed on which anatomic site?
- Lower leg