Kimberly Retzlaff is a freelance medical journalist based in Denver.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueSeptember 2021
Also By This Author
- Ewing-Nelson C. All of the jobs lost in December were women’s jobs. 2021. Washington, DC: National Women’s Law Center.
- Peck E. Exclusive: Pandemic could cost typical American woman nearly $600,000 in lifetime income. Newsweek. 2021 May 26.
- Mandavalli A. Could the pandemic prompt an ‘epidemic of loss’ of women in the sciences? The New York Times. 2021 Apr 13.
- Kaatz A, Gutierrez B, Carnes M. Threats to objectivity in peer review: The case of gender. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2014 Aug;35(8):371–373.
- Kibbe MR. Consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic on manuscript submissions by women. JAMA Surg. 2020;155(9):803–804.
- Jorge A, Bolster M, Fu X, et al. The association between physician gender and career advancement among academic rheumatologists in the United States. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021 Jan;73(1):168–172.
- Bagga E, Stewart S, Gamble GD, et al. Representation of women as authors of rheumatology research articles. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021 Jan;73(1):162–167.
- Mahmood SN, Blanco I. The road to equity for women in academic rheumatology. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2020 Dec;16(12):669–670.
- Owen WF Jr., Carmona R, Pomeroy C. Failing another national stress test on health disparities. JAMA. 2020 May 19;323(19):1905.
- Lerback J, Hanson B. Journals invite too few women to referee. Nature. 2017 Jan 25;541(7638):455–457.
- Lo Sasso AT, Armstrong D, Forte G, Gerber SE. Differences in starting pay for male and female physicians persist; explanations for the gender gap remain elusive. Health Aff (Millwood). 2020 Feb;39(2):256–263.