The only one of these tests that is useful to monitor activity is the anti-dsDNA.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueFebruary 2009
Also By This Author
Acknowledgement: I am indebted to the work of many authors of UpToDate in Medicine, whose work provided a useful framework for the development of this paper, as well as to Drs. Robert Shmerling, David Lee, and Donald Bloch, with whom I have written papers and chapters on this same subject.
Dr. Schur is professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and the division of rheumatology, immunology, and allergy in the department of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
- Reichlin M. Measurement and clinical significance of antinuclear antibodies. UpToDate. October 2008.
- American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Immunologic Testing Guidelines. Guidelines for immunologic laboratory testing in the rheumatic diseases: An introduction. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;47:429-433.
- Solomon DH, Kavanaugh AJ, Schur PH, et al. Evidence-based guidelines for the use of immunologic tests: Antinuclear Antibody testing. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;47:434-444.
- Sinclair D, Saas M, Williams D, Hart M, Goswami R. Can an ELISA replace immunofluorescence for the detection of anti-nuclear antibodies?—The routine use of anti-nuclear antibody screening ELISAs. Clin Lab. 2007;53:183-191.
- Avaniss-Aghajani E, Berzon S, Sarkissian A. Clinical value of multiplexed bead-based immunoassays for detection of autoantibodies to nuclear antigens. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:505-509.
- Copple SS, Martins TB, Masterson C, Joly E, Hill HR. Comparison of three multiplex immunoassays for detection of antibodies to extractable nuclear antibodies using clinically defined sera. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1109:464-472.
- Caramaschi P, Ruzzenente O, Pieropan S, et al. Determination of ANA specificity using multiplexed fluorescent microsphere immunoassay in patients with ANA positivity at high titres after infliximab treatment: Preliminary results. Rheumatol Int. 2007;27:649-654.
- Biagini RE, Parks CG, Smith JP, Sammons DL, Robertson SA. Analytical performance of the AtheNA MultiLyte ANA II assay in sera from lupus patients with multiple positive ANAs. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007;388:613-618.
- Gonzalez C, Garcia-Berrocal B, Perez M, et al. Laboratory screening of connective tissue diseases by a new automated ENA screening assay (EliA Symphony) in clinically defined patients. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;359:109-114.
- Eissfeller P, Sticherling M, Scholz D, et al. Comparison of different test systems for simultaneous autoantibody detection in connective tissue diseases. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1050:327-339.
- Smith J, Onley D, Garey C, et al. Determination of ANA specificity using the UltraPlex platform. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1050:286-294.
- Martins TB, Burlingame R, von Muhlen CA, et al. Evaluation of multiplexed fluorescent microsphere immunoassay for detection of autoantibodies to nuclear antigens. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:1054-1059.
- Bernardini S, Infantino M, Bellincampi L, et al. Screening of antinuclear antibodies: Comparison between enzyme immunoassay based on nuclear homogenates, purified or recombinant antigens and immunofluorescence assay. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2004;42:1155-1160.
- Nossent H, Rekvig OP. Antinuclear antibody screening in this new millennium: Farewell to the microscope? Scand J Rheumatol. 2001;30:123-126; discussion 127-128.
- Lopez-Hoyos M, Rodriguez-Valverde V, Martinez-Taboada V. Performance of antinuclear antibody connective tissue disease screen. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1109:322-329.
- Ghillani P, Rouquette AM, Desgruelles C, et al. Evaluation of the LIAISON ANA screen assay for antinuclear antibody testing in autoimmune diseases. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1109:407-413.
- Bonilla E, Francis L, Allam F, et al. Immunofluorescence microscopy is superior to fluorescent beads for detection of antinuclear antibody reactivity in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Clin Immunol. 2007;124:18-21.
- Nifli AP, Notas G, Mamoulaki M, et al. Comparison of a multiplex, bead-based fluorescent assay and immunofluorescence methods for the detection of ANA and ANCA autoantibodies in human serum. J Immunol Methods. 2006;311: 189-197.
- Shovman O, Gilburd B, Zandman-Goddard G, et al. Multiplexed AtheNA multi-lyte immunoassay for ANA screening in autoimmune diseases. Autoimmunity. 2005;38:105-109.
- Ulvestad E. Performance characteristics and clinical utility of a hybrid ELISA for detection of ANA. Apmis. 2001;109:217-222.
- Olaussen E, Rekvig OP. Screening tests for antinuclear antibodies (ANA): Selective use of central nuclear antigens as a rational basis for screening by ELISA. J Autoimmun. 1999; 13:95-102.
- Homburger HA, Cahen YD, Griffiths J, Jacob GL. Detection of antinuclear antibodies: Comparative evaluation of enzyme immunoassay and indirect immunofluorescence methods. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998;122:993-999.
- Gniewek RA, Stites DP, McHugh TM, Hilton JF, Nakagawa M. Comparison of antinuclear antibody testing methods: Immunofluorescence assay versus enzyme immunoassay. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1997;4:185-188.
- Reichlin M. Antibodies to DNA, SM, and RNP. UpToDate. October 2008.
- Hahn BH. Antibodies to DNA. New Engl J Med. 1998;338:1359.
- Kavanaugh AF, Solomon DH, the American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Immunologic Testing Guidelines. Guidelines for immunologic laboratory testing in the rheumatic diseases: Anti-DNA antibody tests. Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 47:546-555.
- Benito-Garcia E, Schur PH, Lahita R. Guidelines for Immunologic laboratory testing in the rheumatic diseases: Anti-Sm and Anti-RNP antibody tests. Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 51:1030-1044.
- Reichlin M. Clinical significance of anti-Ro/SSA and anti-La/SSB antibodies. UpToDate. October 2008.
- Reveille JD, Sherrer YRS, Solomon DH, Schur P, Kavanaugh A. Evidenced-based guidelines for the use of immunological laboratory tests: Anti-Ro (SS-A) and La (SS-B): A report from the ACR Ad Hoc Committee on Immunological Testing Guidelines. Submitted for publication.
- Reichlin M. Antiribosomal P protein antibodies. UpToDate. October 2008.
- Denton CP. Classification of scleroderma. UpToDate. October 2008.