For the treatment of sJIA-associated lung disease that manifests as interstitial lung disease, such medications as cyclosporine, mycophenolate mofetil and abatacept may be options. But more data are needed to support these therapies.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueAugust 2021
Also By This Author
Finally, prophylaxis against Pneumocystis jirovecii and aggressive treatment of any active lung infections are both necessary elements of management.
Jason Liebowitz, MD, completed his fellowship in rheumatology at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, where he also earned his medical degree. He is currently in practice with Skylands Medical Group, N.J.
- Angeles-Han ST, Ringold S, Beukelman T, et al. 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation guideline for the screening, monitoring and treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2019 Jun;71(6):703–716. Epub 2019 Apr 25.
- Constantin T, Foeldvari I, Anton J, et al. Consensus-based recommendations for the management of uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: The SHARE initiative. Ann Rheum Dis. 2018 Aug;77(8):1107–1117. Epub 2018 Mar 28.
- Liebling EJ, Faig W, Chang JC, et al. The temporal relationship between juvenile idiopathic arthritis disease activity and uveitis activity. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020 Oct 12. Epub ahead of print.
- Heiligenhaus A, Klotsche J, Tappeiner C, et al. Predictive factors and biomarkers for the 2-year outcome of uveitis in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Data from the inception cohort of newly diagnosed patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (ICON-JIA) study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019 Jun 1;58(6):975–986.
- Henderson LA, Hoyt KJ, Lee PY, et al. Th17 reprogramming of T cells in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis. JCI Insight. 2020 Mar 26;5(6):e132508.
- Schulert GS, Yasin S, Carey B, et al. Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated lung disease: Characterization and risk factors. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019 Nov;71(11):1943–1954. Epub 2019 Oct 1.