Dr. Wright would have appreciated the great upsurge in interest in PsA, and he would have been an active member of GRAPPA. If he were alive today, Dr. Wright would surely champion additional collection of information, and he would embrace clinical and scientific advances even if they challenged his earlier findings. Indeed, it is likely that the diverse subsets first proposed by Dr. Wright reflect heterogeneous disease pathways that we are still attempting to understand, and perhaps different therapeutic strategies will be required depending on the clinical phenotype. Armed with sophisticated tools for laboratory investigation, genetic analysis and imaging investigators will no doubt unveil new disease mechanisms and formulate new paradigms to explain the remarkable clinical phenotypes of PsA first described by Dr. Wright more than 50 years ago.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueAugust 2009
Dr. Ritchlin is a professor of medicine at the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, N.Y. Dr. Helliwell is senior lecturer in rheumatology at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom.
- Bauer W, Bennett GA, Zeller JW. The pathology of joint lesions in patients with psoriasis and arthritis. Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1941;56:349-352.
- Wright V. Rheumatism and psoriasis: A re-evaluation. Am J Med. 1959;27:454-462.
- Baker H, Golding DN, Thompson M. Psoriasis and arthritis. Ann Intern Med. 1963;58:909-925.
- Blumberg, BS, Bunim JJ, Calkins E, Pirani CL, Zvaifler NJ. Nomenclature and classification of arthritis and rheumatism (tentative) accepted by the American Rheumatism Association. Bull Rheum Dis. 1964;14:339-340.
- Moll, JM, Wright V. Familial occurrence of psoriatic arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1973; 32:181-201.
- Macrae I, Wright V. A family study of ulcerative colitis. With particular reference to ankylosing spondylitis and sacroiliitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1973;32:16-20.
- Wright V, Moll JM. Seronegative Polyarthritis. Amsterdam: North Holland;1976:488.
- Helliwell, P, Marchesoni A, Peters M, Barker M, Wright V. A re-evaluation of the osteoarticular manifestations of psoriasis. Br J Rheumatol. 1991;30:339-345.
- McGonagle D, Gibbon W, Emery P. Classification of inflammatory arthritis by enthesitis. Lancet. 1998;352:1137-1140.
- Taylor W, Gladman D, Helliwell P, et al. Classification criteria for psoriatic arthritis: development of new criteria from a large international study. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2665-2673.
- Gladman DD, Mease PJ, Strand V, et al. Consensus on a core set of domains for psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2007;34:1167-1170.
- Ritchlin CT, Kavanaugh A, Gladman DD, et al. Treatment recommendations for psoriatic arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008. [Epub ahead of print].
- Nograles KE, Brasington RD, Bowcock AM. New insights into the pathogenesis and genetics of psoriatic arthritis. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2009;5:83-91.
- Pattison E, Harrison BJ, Griffths CE, Silman AJ, Bruce IN. Environmental risk factors for the development of psoriatic arthritis: Results from a case-control study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008; 67:672-676.
- Espinoza LR, Vasey FB, Espinoza CG, Bocanegra TS, Germain BF. Vascular changes in psoriatic synovium. A light and electron microscopic study. Arthritis Rheum. 1982;25:677-684.
- Reece RJ, Canete JD, Parsons WJ, Emery P, Veale DJ. Distinct vascular patterns of early synovitis in psoriatic, reactive, and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1999;42:1481-1484.
- De Rycke L, Kruithof E, Vandooren B, Tak PP, Baeten D. Pathogenesis of spondyloarthritis: Insights from synovial membrane studies. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2006. 8:275-282.
- Johnson-Huang LM, McNutt NS, Krueger JG, Lowes MA. Cytokine-producing dendritic cells in the pathogenesis of inflammatory skin diseases. J Clin Immunol. 2009; 29:247-256.
- Gottlieb A, Menter A, Mendelsohn A, et al. Ustekinumab, a human interleukin 12/23 monoclonal antibody,for psoriatic arthritis: Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. Lancet. 2009;373:633-640.
- McGonagle D, Lories RJ, Tan AL, Benjamin M. The concept of a “synovio-entheseal complex” and its implications for understanding joint inflammation and damage in psoriatic arthritis and beyond. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:2482-2491.
- Proulx ST, Kwok E, You Z, et al. Elucidating bone marrow edema and myelopoiesis in murine arthritis using contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:2019-2029.
- Mensah KA, Schwarz EM, Ritchlin CT. Altered bone remodeling in psoriatic arthritis. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2008;10:311-317.
- Diarra D, Stolina M, Polzer K, et al. Dickkopf-1 is a master regulator of joint remodeling. Nature Med. 2007;13:133-134.
- Setty AR, Choi HK. Psoriatic arthritis epidemiology. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007;9:449-454.
- Ritchlin CT. Psoriatic arthritis: From skin to bone. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2007;3:698-706.
- Mease PJ. Psoriatic arthritis therapy advances. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005;17:426-432.
- Wright V. Psoriasis and arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1956;15:348-356.