The study met the primary objective of establishing dose response for bimekizumab and demonstrated significant efficacy compared with placebo. At Week 12, 79% of bimekizumab-treated patients achieved at least 90% skin clearance in the Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI90). A secondary efficacy objective was complete skin clearance at Week 12 as measured by PASI100. Up to 60% of bimekizumab-treated patients achieved this endpoint.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueOctober 2017
Also By This Author
The safety profile of bimekizumab showed no new safety signals. The most common adverse events observed were nasopharyngitis and upper-respiratory tract infection. Phase 3 studies are currently planned.
Michele B. Kaufman, PharmD, BCGP, is a freelance medical writer based in New York City and a pharmacist at New York Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc. News release: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc. receives FDA approval for Cyltezo (adalimumab-adbm), a biosimilar to Humira, for the treatment of multiple chronic inflammatory diseases. 2017 Aug 29.
- Eli Lilly and Co. News release: Lilly to file baricitinib resubmission to U.S. FDA before end of January 2018. 2017 Aug 30.
- Eli Lilly and Co. News release: U.S. FDA issues complete response letter for baricitinib. 2017 Apr 14.
- Pfizer Inc. News release: FDA advisory committee votes in favor of Xeljanz (tofacitinib citrate) for the treatment of active psoriatic arthritis. 2017 Aug 3.
- Walsh N. FDA panel says yes to tofacitinib for PsA—clear efficacy for symptoms, but radiographic progression benefit remains unclear. Medpage Today. 2017 Aug 3.
- UCB. News release: Bimekizumab demonstrates skin clearance in phase 2b psoriasis study with first monoclonal antibody neutralizing both IL-17A and IL-17F. 2017 Jul 21.