Martin Garber, DO, is a rheumatologist in a three-doctor private practice rheumatology group serving the communities of Ann Arbor and Southeastern Michigan. He performs inpatient consults at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor and participates in the hospital’s internal medicine resident teaching program.
You Might Also Like
Explore This IssueAugust 2016
- Zhu Y, Pandya BJ, Choi HK. Prevalence of gout and hyperuricemia in the US general population: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007–2008. Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Oct;63(10):3136–3141.
- Campion EW, Glynn RJ, DeLabry LO. Asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Risks and consequences in the Normative Aging Study. Am J Med. 1987 Mar;82(3):421–426.
- Lawrence RC, Felson DT, Helmick CG, et al. Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States: Part II. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Jan;58(1):26–35.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Global report on diabetes. World Health Organization. 2016.
- Johnson RJ, Nakagawa T, Sanchez-Lozada LG, et al. Sugar, uric acid, and the etiology of diabetes and obesity. Diabetes. 2013 Oct;62(10):3307–3315.
- Choi HK, Curhan G. Soft drinks, fructose consumption, and the risk of gout in men: Prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2008 Feb;336(7639):309–312.
- Choi HK, Willett W, Curhan G. Fructose-rich beverages and risk of gout in women. JAMA. 2010 Nov 24;304(20):2270–2278.
- Johnson RJ, Andrews P. The Fat Gene: A genetic mutation in prehistoric apes may underlie today’s pandemic of obesity and diabetes. Sci Am. 2015 Oct;313(4):64–69.
- Johnson RJ, Andrews P. Fructose, uricase and the Back-to-Africa hypothesis. Evol Anthropol. 2010 Nov/Dec;19(6):250–257.
- Tapia E, Cristóbal M, García-Arroyo FE, et al. Synergistic effect of uricase blockade plus physiological amounts of fructose-glucose on glomerular hypertension and oxidative stress in rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 Mar 15;304(6):F727–F736.
- Nakagawa T, Hu H, Zharikov S, et al. A causal role for uric acid in fructose-induced metabolic syndrome. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006 Mar;290(3):F625–F631.
- Krishnan E, Pandya BJ, Chung L, et al. Hyperuricemia in young adults and risk of insulin resistance, prediabetes, and diabetes: A 15-year follow-up study. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Jul 15;176(2):108–116.
- Krishnan E, Akhras KS, Sharma H, et al. Relative and attributable diabetes risk associated with hyperuricemia in US veterans with gout. QJM. 2013 Aug;106(8):721–729.
- Yoo TW, Sung KC, Shin HS, et al. Relationship between serum uric acid concentration and insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Circ J. 2005 Aug;69(8):928–933.
- Baker JF, Krishnan E, Chen L, et al. Serum uric acid and cardiovascular disease: Recent developments, and where do they leave us? Am J Med. 2005 Aug;118(8):816–826.
- Baker JF, Schumacher HR, Krishnan E. Serum uric acid level and risk for peripheral arterial disease: Analysis of data from the multiple risk factor intervention trial. Angiology. 2007 Aug-Sep;58(4):450–457.
- Brand FN, McGee DL, Kannel WB, et al. Hyperuricemia as a risk factor of coronary heart disease: The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol. 1985 Jan;121(1):11–18.
- Grayson PC, Kim SY, LaValley M, et al. Hyperuricemia and incident hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011 Jan;63(1):102–110.
- Levy GD, Rashid N, Niu F, et al. Effect of urate-lowering therapies on renal disease progression in patients with hyperuricemia. J Rheumatol. 2014 May;41(5):955–962.
- Prasad Sah OS, Qing YX. Associations between hyperuricemia and chronic kidney disease: A review. Nephrourol Mon. 2015 May 23;7(3):e27233.
- El-Bassossy HM, Elberry AA, Azhar A, et al. Ameliorative effect of allopurinol on vascular complications of insulin resistance. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:178540.
- El-Bassossy HM, Watson ML. Xanthine oxidase inhibition alleviates the cardiac complications of insulin resistance: Effect on low grade inflammation and the angiotensin system. J Transl Med. 2015 Mar 6;13:82–92.
- Farquharson CA, Butler R, Hill A, et al. Allopurinol improves endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure. Circulation. 2002 Jul 9;106(2):221–226.
- Hare JM, Mangal B, Brown J, et al. Impact of oxypurinol in patients with symptomatic heart failure. Results of the OPT-CHF study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008 Jun 17;51(24):2301–2309.
- Nakagomi A, Saiki Y, Noma S, et al. Effects of febuxostat and allopurinol on the inflammation and cardiac function in chronic heart failure patients with hyperuricemia. IJC Metab and Endocr. 2015 Sep;8:46–55.
- Fieg DI, Soletsky B, Johnson RJ. Effect of allopurinol on blood pressure of adolescents with newly diagnosed essential hypertension: A randomized trial. JAMA. 2008 Aug 27;300(8):924–932.
- Akkineni R, Tapp S, Tosteson A, et al. Treatment of asymptomatic hyperuricemia and prevention of vascular disease: A decision analytic approach. J Rheumatol. 2014 Apr;41(4):739–748.
- Liu P, Wang H, Zhang F, et al. The effects of allopurinol on the carotid intima-media thickness in patients with type 2 diabetes and asymptomatic hyperuricemia: A three-year randomized parallel-controlled study. Intern Med. 2015;54(17):2129–2137.
- Liu P, Chen Y, Wang B, et al. Allopurinol treatment improves renal function in patients with type 2 diabetes and asymptomatic hyperuricemia: 3-year randomized parallel-controlled study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2015 Oct;83(4):475–482.