The subject of cancer immunotherapy is both intellectually stimulating and incredibly relevant to modern clinical practice, and this session highlighted the interesting questions that remain to be answered. One thing seems clear: Just as this session involved a set of lectures from an oncologist and a rheumatologist, so too does real-life management of irAEs require cross-specialty communication and coordination to do what is best for patients.
You Might Also Like
Also By This Author
Jason Liebowitz, MD, completed his fellowship in rheumatology at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, where he also earned his medical degree. He is currently in practice with Skylands Medical Group, N.J.
- The Nobel Prize. News release: The Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine 2018. 2018 Oct 1.
- Larkin J, Chiarion-Sileni V, Gonzalez R, et al. Combined nivolumab and ipilimumab or monotherapy in untreated melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jul 2;373(1):23–34.
- Hellmann MD, Ciuleanu TE, Pluzanski A, et al. Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in lung cancer with a high tumor mutational burden. N Engl J Med. 2018 May 31;378(22):2093–2104.
- Hammers HJ, Plimack ER, Infante JR, et al. Safety and efficacy of nivolumab in combination with ipilimumab in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: The CheckMate 016 study. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Dec 1;35(34):3851–3858.
- Abdel-Rahman O, ElHalawani H, Fouad M. Risk of endocrine complications in cancer patients treated with immune check point inhibitors: A meta-analysis. Future Oncol. 2016 Feb;12(3):413–425.
- Naidoo J, Wang X, Woo KM, et al. Pneumonitis in patients treated with anti-programmed death-1/programmed death ligand 1 therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Mar;35(7):709–717.
- Morganstein D, Lai Z, Spain L, et al. Thyroid abnormalities following the use of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4 and programmed death receptor protein-1 inhibitors in the treatment of melanoma. Clin Endocrinol. 2017 Apr;86(4):614–620.
- Martins F, Sofiya L, Sykiotis GP, et al. Adverse effects of immune-checkpoint inhibitors: epidemiology, management and surveillance. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2019 Sep;16(9):563–580.
- Braaten TJ, Brahmer JR, Forde PM, et al. Immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced inflammatory arthritis persists after immunotherapy cessation. Ann Rheum Dis. 2020 Mar;79(3):332–338.
- S. National Institutes of Health. National Cancer Institute: Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE). 2020 Sep 21.
- Horvat TZ, Adel NG, Dang TO, et al. Immune-related adverse events, need for systemic immunosuppression, and effects on survival and time to treatment failure in patients with melanoma treated with ipilimumab at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Oct 1;33(28):3193–3198.
- Faje AT, Lawrence D, Flaherty K, et al. High-dose glucocorticoids for the treatment of ipilimumab-induced hypophysitis is associated with reduced survival in patients with melanoma. 2018 Sep 15;124(18):3706–3714.