Participants were given 210 mg romosozumab once monthly and compared with those given 20 mcg teriparatide daily for 12 months.8 STRUCTURE included postmenopausal osteoporotic women (n=436) averaging 72 years, with a history of non-vertebral fracture after age 50 or vertebral fracture and treatment with bisphosphonate therapy for a minimum of three years prior to transitioning to romosozumab or teriparatide therapy. For secondary endpoints, romosozumab-treated patients had significantly greater increases in BMD from baseline and increases in strength compared with teriparatide-treated patients.
You Might Also Like
- Rheumatology Drug Updates: Giant Cell Arteritis Relapse Possible if Tocilizumab Discontinued; Plus Updates on Rituximab, Etanercept
- Rheumatology Drug Updates: Efficacy Studied Following Accelerated Drug Approvals; Plus Secukinumab Meets Benchmark for Psoriasis
- Rheumatology Drug Updates: Sirukumab Promising for RA, Plus Efficacy Duration of Ustekinumab for Plaque Psoriasis
Explore This IssueJune 2016
Also By This Author
Michele B. Kaufman, PharmD, CGP, RPh, is a freelance medical writer based in New York City and a pharmacist at New York Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital.
- Amgen Inc. FDA accepts Amgen’s supplemental biologics license application for the expanded use of enbrel (etanercept) to treat pediatric patients with chronic severe plaque psoriasis. 2016 Mar 10.
- Bird Rock Bio Inc. Bird Rock Bio’s gerilimzumab, an anti-IL-6 antibody, demonstrates potential for affordable global access to a novel biologic to treat rheumatoid arthritis. 2016 Mar 16.
- Axsome Therapeutics Inc. Axsome Therapeutics initiates phase 3 study of AXS-02 for knee osteoarthritis associated with bone marrow lesions. 2016 Mar 28.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA approves new psoriasis drug Taltz. 2016 Mar 22.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Taltz label information. 2016 Mar 22.
- Swift D. Benlysta found steroid-sparing in lupus: Modest effects in prednisone dose reduction seen in post-hoc analyses. MedPage Today. 2016 Mar 26.
- UCB. UCB and Amgen announce positive topline results from phase 3 study evaluating romosozumab in men with osteoporosis. 2016 Mar 21.
- Amgen Inc. Amgen and UCB present positive data at ENDO 2016 comparing romosozumab with teriparatide. 2016 Apr 1.